Monday, March 27, 2006

The Envelope(s) Please

After sifting through the nearly dozens of brilliant entries into our Fashion-Related Constitutional Law Analogy Contest, we have selected the winners. Unfortunately, both have offered analogies that strain our drawing abilities, so you'll have to wait a bit to see the pictorial representation of their grand ideas. (Plus, tomorrow is cartoon meeting day at The New Yorker, and we have zero toons completed.)

So, until we draw up the winners' ideas, suffice it to say that the hilarious Walt came up with a succinct and absurd analogy, while his co-winner, David Marc Fischer, offered a less succint, but equally apt and cogent, parable of injustice. Congrats, you two! (Old Hag, darling, and my dearest Shannon, you will always be first in my heart, even at your most confusing and irrelevant. Lauren C. of Lux Lotus, you've cast me into dispair, because I was still trying to convince myself that maybe short-sleeved jackets could maybe be a good idea, under some circumstances. Like, at a board meeting where the air-conditioner is on the fritz? Or, for the inauguration of a Bermudian president? But I guess not.)

3 Comments:

Blogger David Marc Fischer said...

Well...this is such a surprise...I haven't really prepared anything...but...um...well, first of all I'd like to acknowledge Walt and all the other analogy writers for the great work that they did. It's an honor simply to be included in the same company as you, so if we all ever get a job at the same company I will feel very proud of myself indeed. David? Hey--we've known each other since junior high. What a long strange trip it's been! Of course, none of this would have been possible without Emily. Or George Bush, but I'd rather not get into that now. Also, um, thanks to Dan Radosh for letting his readers know about this great project. If it hadn't been...[orchestra wells up]...wait, wait, I haven't finished yet...oh, now they're coming to take me away...hey, this straitjacket seems like a perfect analogy for something...just give me a second to work it out...[break to commercial]

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(applause applause applause)

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your kind comments!

I had meant to mention the impossible-to-illustrate problem, along with the too-literal and too-convoluted problems that I did mention...

David's story was great and I loved some of the odder suggestions just on their own merits. In the end the scenario might be too tough to analogize.

It occurs to me that part of the problem is that police who abuse their powers really can make you safer -- but only from criminals who are unaffiliated with the police. If anyone could find a way to say that in a fashion-oriented metaphor, you might get the punchy image you were looking for.

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home