Friday, September 08, 2006

The Pajama Fitting


Dear Jeepers,

I know pajamas don't really matter in the world of high fashion, but they matter to me. I have several savings accounts devoted to different purposes--one for travel, one for medical emergencies, one for a house fund. And I have an account just for pajamas. The balance is up to $430, and I'm ready to make a purchase. Any advice?

Thanks!
Renee


Dear Renee,

You say pajams, we say crazy. You are insane to have waited this long. You could have got a perfect pair $300 ago. But....since you do have such a nice nest egg and don't sound like the kind of woman to go donating flannel pj's to orphans, here's what you should do:

Purchase six yards of the most delicate cotton sateen known to man. We suggest deepest indigo, or a crazy pattern like the one pictured above, which reminds us of great-aunts who smoked cigarettes and had "divans" and played bridge and kept extra Andy Warhol paintings they didn't much care for anymore under one of the twin beds in the guest room.)

Next, contact a tailor.
Go to your fitting armed with an issue of Vogue from 1957. Point to the cigarette ad on page 72. "I want a pair of pajamas like that, only perfectly tailored to my body, with lots of room to swim in."

Have the completed pajamas delivered to you by post, wrapped in many layers of faintly perfumed tissue paper. Deposit the $200 you'll have left over into your emergency cottage cheese fund!

Yrs,
Jeepers

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was that a reference to Great-Aunt Carole, known to me as Grandmommie? Hi Emily!

2:33 PM  
Blogger Jeepers said...

Snow,
Sort of! I have in my mind a general picture of fabulous great aunts, based on my Aunt Caroline (your Grandmommie). She was pretty wonderful.

So nice (and a surprise) to see you show up here on this website!! Whatchya up to these days, my pretty second cousin?

xo
J (Em)

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still in Los Angeles. Wearing colored tights a lot this season. I think I found your blog via the New Yorker. I may be in New York in May; I'll let you know!

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

zang toi has superfabulous pjs as does mary green and target where i got some -- silk, paisley, piping --- that i wore to a party the other nite.

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home